Sunday, October 25

3 Ways Composition Notebooks are Better Than Moleskines

By Dee Jones

I was never a big fan of composition notebooks. Not even when I was a kid, and so many of my teachers forced me to use them.

I much preferred spiral notebooks. You could fold them open and lay them flat. They had bigger pages. And you could tear pages out without making a mess of the notebook.

As I got older, I discovered the world of “fancy notebooks,” like the Moleskine,  and notebooks made by Leuchtturm1917. These were real notebooks. “Grown up” notebooks. And they made me even more dismissive of composition notebooks.

But as I “traveled” online, looking into the various things I was interested in, I realized a lot of people were using these relics from my childhood as:

  • Writer’s notebooks.
  • Daily diaries.
  • Bullet journals.
  • Commonplace books.
  • Gratitude journals.

As a result, I started to wonder. Maybe there was more to composition notebooks than I’d always thought.

Then, while walking down the stationary aisle of a local department store, I noticed a composition notebook that had a cool design (instead of the typical, marble pattern) on the cover. And it was college ruled, another plus.

So I bought the notebook, but wasn’t really committed to using it.

Well, I filled that composition notebook up in about two months and promptly bought several more.

Since then, I’ve become a composition notebook convert. Not only do I now appreciate these favorites of English teachers everywhere, I think they can sometimes be better than “fancy” notebooks.

So here are 3 ways a composition notebook is better than a Moleskine.


1. Composition notebooks are cheap.

If you want to get yourself a really good, fancy notebook, you can expect to pay $5 or $10 for it. Possibly more. And, no matter how much you love your Moleskine, I bet a part of you always feels a tad guilty about spending that kind of money on a notebook.

You can get a composition notebook for around a dollar or less. And during the back to school sales, you can really rack up.

As long as I have a buck in my pocket, I can get myself a new composition notebook. And I won’t feel a hint of guilt over it.


2. Composition notebooks are more readily available.

If you’re lucky, a local retailer carries your favorite “fancy notebook.” But, for many, getting hold of a Rhodia or Field Notes notebook means ordering it. And this adds the price of shipping, to an already pricey purchase.

Then, after you place your order, all you can do is hope your new Moleskine arrives before you reach the last page of your current one.

You can find composition notebooks in almost any super market, drug store or department store. So when I’m about to reach the last page of my current composition notebook, I can pick up a new one while shopping for groceries.


3. You won’t be afraid to write in a composition notebook.

I love fancy notebooks. I love the way they look. I love how the leather (or faux leather) feels. And I love the great, quality paper many of them have.

But there’s one problem I sometimes have with fancy notebooks

I’m afraid to write in them.

They’re just so perfect. How can I ruin such perfection with my messy scribbling?

When I do manage to write in one, I feel like I have to produce something profound and poetic. And my handwriting has to be neat and tidy, of course. After all, a great notebook deserves only the best handwriting.

Here’s the thing. Sometimes, the real value of writing in a notebook comes from writing freely. Writing whatever you’re thinking or feeling without worrying about grammar, spelling, punctuation, or penmanship.

Basically, you want a notebook you can make a big mess in.

I don’t feel any hesitation when I write in a composition notebook. I just pick it up and scribble away. I doodle. I jot down reminders and to-dos. I’ve even been known to cross out entire pages with a few quick slashes of my pen. 

My composition notebooks are filled with pages and pages of messy handwriting, rough drawings, and shopping lists. And because I have no qualms about making a big mess in them, I write in these notebooks more often. And I feel more attached to them.

Sometimes, fancy notebooks feel like acquaintances, the kind you always want to make a good impression on. They’re nice enough, but you can’t totally relax around them.

Cheap notebooks are like old friends, the ones you’ll let see you in your bathrobe and slippers. Around them, you feel relaxed, comfortable, and free to just be yourself.

Of course, you shouldn’t throw your Moleskine in the trash can, or drop your Rhodia in the recycling bin. But if you have a notebook you can’t bring yourself to get messy in, you might enjoy the freedom writing in a composition notebook can give you.

Do you love “fancy” notebooks like Moleskines? Do you prefer cheaper notebooks, like composition notebooks and steno pads? Leave a comment below and let us know.