Sunday, November 15

3 Reasons You Should Keep a Journal

By Dee Jones


I’ve been keeping a journal for as long as I can remember. But, for a long time, I didn’t actually realize that’s what I was doing.

A lot of that was because of my misconceptions when it came to what a journal actually was. As a child and young teen, I thought keeping a journal meant writing about your day, your crush, or how your sister borrowed your favorite shirt without even asking.

But I didn’t write about stuff like that. I wrote about the various subjects that caught my interest, like mythology and medieval history. I wrote about projects I was working on, books I was reading, and the movies I had seen. My binders and notebooks were also stuffed with drawing, poems, and unfinished short stories.

Eventually, I realized that all of that all of the above qualified as journaling. But it took a little longer to realize how much all of that had benefited me. In fact, I’m still discovering new ways that journaling helped me back then, and continues to help me now.

If you’ve thought about starting a journal, but just haven’t gotten around to it, here are 5 reasons you should start keeping a journal right now.


Reason #1: Journaling Helps to Clear Your Head


Your mind is a busy place. It’s filled with things you need to remember, things you need to do, things that are annoying you, deadlines that are on the horizon, projects you haven’t even started yet...

Basically, there’s a lot going on up there.

There problem with all of that mental noise is that it can make it hard to focus on the things you actually need to do right now. Think about it. How often have you tried to concentrate on one thing only to be distracted but the dozen or so other thoughts that keep popping in and out of your head?

Journaling is an easy way to get rid of some of the mental clutter that keeps distracting you.

Grab a notebook and pen and spend 10 minutes just writing down whatever pops into your head. Don’t worry about spelling, grammar or punctuation. You don’t even have to worry about staying on one topic. Just write down the thoughts that drift through your mind as fast as you can.

It’s a simple exercise. And, after doing it, you’ll be surprised by how much more clear and quiet your head feels.


Reason #2: Journaling Helps You Reach Your Goals


One of my favorite sayings is “think on paper,” and that’s exactly what journaling helps you do.

As soon as a new project lands on my plate, I grab a pen and notebook and start writing about it.

Journaling about a project helps you figure out exactly what you want to do. And getting a really clear, concrete “picture” of a project, even a big one, will make it feel less overwhelming.

Journaling can also help you figure out what you need to do to reach your goal, another step that can make a project feel less intimidating.

Journaling doesn’t just help you get started on a new project. When I’m working on something, I sometimes get stuck. Trying to work out why I’m stuck in my head usually results in my brain running around in circles. I might figure things out, but it will take a while. 

But if I write about being stuck, and the possible causes, I tend to figure things out fast, often in as little as 5 or 10 minutes. And, once I know what the problem is, I can take steps to fix it or work around it. And, just like that, I’m back on track.



Reason #3: Journaling Makes You a Better Writer.


You don’t want to be a writer, you say? Well, writers aren’t the only ones who have to do a lot of writing now days. Students need to write for school. Many employees need to write for work. And, if you spend any time online, you probably write e-mails, blog posts, or forum comments. And if the thought of writing certain things fills you with dread, journaling will help you with that.

Many people find writing difficult because they don’t do a lot of it. They only write when they have to. (They have an essay due, or need to write a report for work.) Because writing isn’t something they do very often, writing becomes an “event.” And not a pleasant or enjoyable one.

But if you write in a journal on a regular basis, you won’t look at writing as a special event. It’s just something you do, like brushing your teeth or checking your email. And it’s hard to dread something you do as a matter of habit.

Journaling also improves the quality of your writing.

Most of us journal in a natural, conversational style. Maybe not at first but, journal long enough, and you’ll find that the words just start to flow. It’s actually similar to the way you probably talk to your friends. And when you can write the way you talk, it makes writing a whole lot easier. 

On top of that, a conversational style is what most readers prefer. It won’t be long before that natural, flowing style works its way from your journal into your other writing. In fact, don’t be surprised if you start to get compliments on how good a writer you are.


If you don’t already keep a journal, why not give it a try? You don’t have to write a personal essay every night. Just try writing in a notebook for 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. And, before long, you’ll be experiencing the benefits of journaling for yourself.



Do you keep a journal? How do you think journaling has benefitted you? Leave a comment below and let us know.